9.21.2012

It's not you, It's me...

I clearly have blog commitment issues, my bad yo.

I haven't posted in a hot minute because last week was a little on the cray-cray side.

Last Friday after I posted my Friday Photo Dump I got a text from my friend Claire. While I haven't actually "hung out" with Claire in about 3 years (she moved to Lubbock for school & I made a human being, big stuff ya know) we're the kind of friends that can pick up right where we left off like we saw each other yesterday.

So the text says "did you hear about David."

One of those moments your heart sinks and you instantly know something bad has happened...

I walked out of my office and called her

"hello"
"whats wrong"
"David was in a really bad car accident last night"

While the blog-o-sphere is not the place for all the details of my feelings for this sweet man, I will say this... David Estrada is VERY high on the list of my favorite people in the universe.



The rest of the conversation was basically along the lines of her telling me he was alive & could potentially end up paralyzed. We made plans to go to the hospital to see him and then I had to go back to my desk and pretend to think about my job while getting updates from his sweet mother. Saying I prayed a lot that afternoon doesn't even cover it, I was literally hands-clasped-head-down talking to God at my desk. I never got mad, or asked why. I knew David wouldn't, his love for God is unwavering and I knew no matter what ended up happening he would never get mad... he would never ask why.

Saturday morning I got up early and headed to Austin. I met up with Claire and we went and bought David some (super manly) sunflowers and a silly card, grabbed some hot lunch for his parents, and headed to the hospital. We were both so nervous. I don't think you can ever really prepare yourself for seeing someone you love so much in a neck brace and hooked up to all kinds of machines in a hospital. My stomach was in knots all morning and I was running off pure nervous energy. At this point he had already been through surgery and had two vertebrae in his neck fused together. They said if his neck was to have slipped ONE MILLIMETER more... he would have been paralyzed, but it was a little easier going in to see him knowing the surgery was successful and that he was on the downhill side of this whole mess.

When we went in he was in really good spirits (thanks pain meds!) & that made it a lot easier. There were jokes and forehead kisses exchanged (his hands were bothering him so he couldn't hug us). My mommy instincts kicked in pretty hard and I wanted to do everything for him but knew I couldn't, that was the hardest. We spent about an hour with him and then another hour in the lobby talking to his mom while family went to see him. His mom amazed me through this whole thing! She was being so strong & resilient for David.

I spent a few more hours at the hospital Sunday Morning & he was moved to a different floor where he didn't have to be hooked up to so many machines and the nurses didn't check on him as often. He has since been moved to a Rehab facility and is doing really great. Since it's Landon's weekend with his daddy, (insert sad face here) I am planning on staying the weekend in Austin again. I'll go see David and catch up with an old friend... chill mode.

For all of you that saw my posts on Facebook & prayed for my sweet friend, thank you... from the bottom of my heart!

In other newsssssssss......

WE GOT A PUPPY!






He is a 5 month old Pomeranian named Hurley & he is PERFECT for our little family. He and Landon are such BFF's already.

With Love,
Leia & Landon

1 comment:

  1. Praying for David that the Lord keeps watching over him & his family! Keep us updated.

    Also, new puppy = super adorableness! How much fun is Landon having with him? We keep talking about getting Lillie a lab [that can double as a hunting dog for Alfred of course] but haven't committed yet!

    ReplyDelete