9.11.2012

It's never too late, to change your life.

Anyone who has been reading my blog recently knows I decided to make a little change in my life, and some of you are wondering why? why now? why running?


The truth is I don't really know WHY. I just know I want to do it. 

There are a few little stepping stones that lead me to running... like, I'm a single mom. Umm, any single momma's ever tried to go to the gym? (P.S. small town, no fancy smancy daycare centers at our gyms) It's just not practical for ME. Get a sitter to go work out? Silly.

Then there's that whole thing with the really-cute-guy-who-sent-me-flowers-and-ended-up-douchey who GAVE ME a jogging stroller (you know they say people come into your life for a reason, maybe I was supposed to get a little heart hurt so I could get a jogging stroller and start running. glass half full. hello?).

I also have a few friends that run & one in particular who has been blogging about her new love of running. It was inspiring. It made me want to run (almost) immediately so that I could love something that much.

But mainly... I want something for me. On August 21st, 2010 I became a Momma, and since that day my whole little world has revolved around my sweet Little L. I spend 24 hours a day in Mommy mode. I love it, I think I'm good at it, It makes me feel so fulfilled. I wouldn't trade a second of that time, but at only 24 years old I find myself wanting something for me. Is that selfish? Running just seems like the logical answer. Out there it'll just be me, no labels. Of course I can never totally escape mommy mode because I instantly think what a good role model I will be for a healthy lifestyle & how I can't wait for him to get big enough to run 5k's with me. Geez we will be cute.


& finally, lets face it... runners are BAD ASS(period)


 
^then there's that^

 & we all know I LOVE me some Dr. Seuss...

So there's that... guess it kinda sounds like I do know the answer to "why running?" huh?

On another running related note, It's on my bucket list to run a (lot of) marathon (s). 26.2 miles. YES.

So the whole plan is I'm gradually building up to that, I already announced my first race will be the CASA Superhero 5k. I fully plan on dressing up & It's for a good cause....

The Superhero CASA 5K Series is a series of walk/run family events held throughout Texas. All proceeds benefit local CASA programs and volunteers. CASA volunteers win their superhero status by advocating for the best interests of abused or neglected children in foster care.

So check out the website because they have events all over Texas, & If you want to do the Waco event you officially have Wonder Woman (me) as a running buddy. Pretty legit. Just sayin'


Now for the most EXCITING part of this post.... drumroll please....

I have picked my first half-marathon!!!!

In March I will be running (with Christine & hopefully TamZOOMA in Austin! Seriously, check out their website. It sounds like SO much fun! We are going to make a girls weekend out of it and I'm super stoaked. Since it's in March it gives me plenty of time to run more races and build myself up to a half! I never in my life imagined I would (or would WANT TO) run 13.1 miles and now I can't freaking wait!

run. laugh. celebrate.

Imagine a powerful sea of women on the move–encouraging fellow runners, creating unforgettable moments, and celebrating personal running triumphs.  Picture a post-race party and expo all wrapped up in one memorable “after-party expo” where these strong goal-oriented women come together for well-deserved celebration.  This is the Muscle Milk Light ZOOMA Women’s Race Series.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So if anyone would like to go with us, we would LOVE to have you! It's going to be super fun, I can't wait to experience crossing the finish line after 13.1 miles! I know I'm going to be SO proud of myself for pushing myself further and harder than ever before!

With love,
Just silly Leia

P.S. Tamara, I'm pretty sure I'm on track (haha) to becoming a "straight up runner junkie" too (:

2 comments:

  1. He gave you a jogging stroller?! Holy hell, it was meant to be then. [You & running, that is.]
    And I totally am with you about being excited to run a 5k with the kiddo. I tell Alfred all the time I can't wait to be able to share this with Lillie and show her that exercise isn't a punishment [how I felt in school] but something to be proud of.
    You are a wonderful mom, Leia, you wanting to run, to do something for you? NOT SELFISH. We are better mothers, better people even, when we are happy with ourselves. Never apologize for that. You are a great role model to Landon - he's lucky to have such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSS! He gave me a practically NEW JEEP jogging stroller, cray cray right?

      & thanks for reaffirming my need to do something for me & your kind words (:

      Delete